HUB- READ, LEARN, THINK, CREATE, DREAM AND ACHIEVE
The Hub is a centrally located innovative learning area in our school that promotes 21st century learnings providing opportunities for students to develop confidence in speaking and listening, digital technology and project-based learning in a fun filled, hands-on classroom environment that promotes student learning and engagement. Lessons are linked closely to classroom themes and topics and students are involved in a wide range of activities which include:
- The use of ICT: using greenscreen technology in our studio area, creating podcasts, researching and presenting in PowerPoint, producing Imovie documentaries, cooking shows and lifestyle TV shows, creating advertisements, radio plays, writing stories using sound effects, voice overs and added backgrounds in Book Creator.
- Design and Creativity: students use our 3D printer, designing and creating puppets, writing and performing scripts, reciting and analysing poetry, participating in debates, designing sustainable cities and building models as prototypes and then creating online.
- Speaking and Listening: opportunities to develop confidence in sustained forms of conversations and social etiquettes, introducing themselves, asking and answering questions to develop critical thinking, develop active listening and strong public speaking skills, use persuasive language techniques, learn about leadership qualities, and present dramatisations of Gospel stories.
- Aboriginal Perspectives: Students learn about Dreamtime Stories and the importance of storytelling in the Aboriginal Culture. They learn basic Aboriginal Noongar language and symbols incorporating these into their own book creations and projects. The history of Aboriginal people and traditional methods of land management are examined and students research Famous Aboriginal People and their contributions to today. We celebrate National Sorry Day, Reconciliation and NAIDOC Week
- Library: all students come to the Hub to enjoy borrowing, reading books and bringing stories to life through drama. We read stories and share our ideas promoting spoken and written language. Each year our school holds Book Week and we acknowledge and celebrate special days and events by creating displays and linking our lessons to these themes.
- Integrated Learning Area: The Hub teacher works closely with classroom teachers collaborating to present purposeful lessons that link with year level curriculum reporting and assessing within these areas.